Design-build is the backbone of WEST Builders' corporate culture. Our long belief in design-build project delivery and dedication to this process motivates us to maintain a highly proactive and solutions driven organization with strong management who are backed by the company's own assets.. Design-build at WEST is viewed as more than the assumption of risk It is our conduit for innovation and progress.
For our design-build projects, our clients contract directly with WEST Builders as a single entity to provide both design and construction services. Design/build services provide our clients with a number of advantages including planning, design, engineering and construction responsibilities that are integrated under a single source, thereby streamlining the overall construction process and insuring that all parties’ goals and interests are aligned. In most instances cost overruns, change orders and delays are completely eliminated using design/build project delivery. At WEST Builders, we stongly believe that this approach to project delivery can best ensure our shared goal of providing an on-time completion and a quality project at a guaranteed and competitive price.
• Single Source Contracts: From design through warranty, WEST’s design-build approach avoids controversy by making its profit incentive parallel with the owner and the design-build team.
• Early Pricing Commitments: WEST can guarantee cost and schedule based upon as little as design development drawings accompanied by a thorough written outline specification. Customers are protected from costly redesign.
• Early Coordination: Construction documents are better coordinated with improved constructability, code compliance and cost effectiveness.
• Quality: single source responsibility motivates high quality design, construction and system performance since the design-builder warrants its solutions. Poor quality cannot be put off on others and costly revisions are squarely placed upon the design-builder.
• Cost Savings: Vertically integrated design and construction across multiple disciplines explores and achieves the most efficient solutions, systems selections and price before the execution of working drawings by those who will build and guarantee results.
• Time Savings: Design-build allows confident fast-tracking because West Builders assumes hard cost risk for gaps in scope of its design. Construction can begin in advance of completed drawings without client risk. Interim financing cost is reduced through earlier occupancy and project cash flows.
• No Change Orders: Once scope, schedule and price are accepted, WEST warrants its solution, built to code and free of WEST generated change order requests to the customer. Clients are responsible only for cost impacts stemming from customer induced scope changes or schedule delays caused by work outside of our control.
WEST Builders design-build culture spills over into our design-assist project deliveries as well, providing similar benefits for clients. While contractually the customer contracts for design and construction independently, our design-assist project teams use their design-build experience to proactively reduce gaps in scope and assist in coordination of our work with that of others. This approach has benefited our clients immensely on time-sensitive projects using a traditional delivery system. On design-assist projects, WEST’s role often involves completing progress concept designs as working or shop drawings in order to help projects meet their “fast-tracked” schedules.
• Systems Selection: WEST customers receive early options on materials and systems with subcontractor input and their associated first costs and operating costs as well as their performance and schedule impacts.
• Early Coordination: Construction documents are better coordinated with improved constructability, code compliance and cost effectiveness due to systems being right-Sized and the facilitation of maximum fabrication and field production.
• Cost Savings: Systems and equipment are analyzed and priced prior to commitment to their use in the project ensuring stronger purchasing power for equipment selections.
• Time Savings: Improved coordination and project knowledge through early WEST involvement allows construction efforts and mobilization to comfortably begin sooner with less risk of complications to cost and schedule.
• Quality: Early team involvement motivates high quality design, construction and system performance. The benefits of WEST’s design-build commitments to system performance and decades of “at-risk lessons learned” assure that proper quality is designed in early.